The Grand Opening of the Cavan Monaghan Community Centre, featuring breakfast served by the Millbrook Lions’ Club, ice cream treats, a free skate, tours of the facility, an open practice by OHL’s Peterborough Petes’ Team, followed by an exhibition game on the new ice pad. The facility boasts an NHL size ice pad, a community banquet hall, a walking track, meeting room, studio, and an outdoor park. After 25 years, the facility is complete thanks to the contributions collected by CMCC project volunteers who have raised more than $890,000 towards the project from generous residents, service clubs, churches, and businesses. Pictured is local developer Mario Cortellucci, third from the right, who made a substantial personal donation of $500,000 on behalf of his family, with his son Peter, flanked by members of the Cavan Monaghan Council.
Look for our Community Events Calendar to return here once COVID-19 restrictions are eased.
- 'Blacklisted': Nova Scotia First Nation pulls commercial lobster boats from the water October 21, 2020The chief of the First Nation behind a disputed moderate livelihood lobster fishery in Nova Scotia says recent vandalism and the loss of potential sales has cost the band more than $1.5 million.
- Quebec reports 1,072 new cases of COVID-19, 19 more deaths October 21, 2020Quebec health authorities reported 1,072 more cases of COVID-19 in the province on Wednesday, bringing the total number of cases since the start of the pandemic to 96,288.
- 'Blacklisted': Nova Scotia First Nation pulls commercial lobster boats from the water October 21, 2020
- Giro d'Italia: Almeida stays in pink; O'Connor earns stage win October 21, 2020Joao Almeida remained in the overall lead of the Giro d'Italia as the race headed into the high mountains and Ben O'Connor earned his first stage victory in a Grand Tour by winning the 17th leg on Wednesday.
- Pandemic World Series draws smallest crowd in over century October 21, 2020A crowd of 11,388 attended the Los Angeles Dodgers' 8-3 win over the Tampa Bay Rays in Tuesday night's World Series opener, spread in groups of up to four, mostly in alternate rows and none directly behind each other among the forest green seats.
- Giro d'Italia: Almeida stays in pink; O'Connor earns stage win October 21, 2020
Technical concerns? Let us know