For more than twenty years, Camp Kawartha’s annual “Green-In-Motion” fundraiser has raised money for the camp’s sponsorship fund. As a result, many deserving children have been given the opportunity to experience the thrill of summer camp. This year, in recognition of the $102,000 twenty-year total singlehandedly raised by Warren Craft, the event has fittingly adopted the name “Warren-In-Motion.” For his contributions to Camp Kawartha, as well as a number of other causes and organizations, Craft was named the Community Volunteer of the Year at the annual County of Peterborough Recognition Awards last Friday.
In 1994, Craft made his Camp Kawartha volunteering debut, marking the beginning of a long and rewarding experience with the camp. However, Craft remembers, “Volunteering was not something that I consciously set out to do. I liked to ride a bike, so I thought it would be an enjoyable way to get more involved.” In his first year, Craft raised a couple of hundred dollars. That number gradually grew to approximately $5,000-$7,000 accumulated per year. To date, Craft has individually raised enough money to sponsor thousands of youth. “What I did was able to make a difference and give these kids a chance,” said Craft. “When I read the testimonials of children who have been given the opportunity to go to camp, it makes every minute worthwhile.”
During Craft’s 19 year involvement with Camp Kawartha, he has spent nine of them on the Board of Directors and two as President. Right now, Craft is preparing for this year’s “Warren-In-Motion” event. Although an official date has yet to be set, nearly 100 donations have already come in, totalling close to $2,000. “The support has always been amazing and I really want to thank all of the people who have sponsored me over the years,” says a grateful Craft.
In addition to his work at Camp Kawartha, Craft also supports a variety of other causes. In 2000, he began canvassing for the Fleming College United Way Campaign, successfully heading up the operation for 12 years. Prompted by a background in farming, Craft has participated in several International Ploughing Matches and has been a member of the Peterborough County Plowmen’s Association for 42 years. Craft has even found time to regularly sing with the Bonnachord male chorus for the past 22 years.
At the 2013 Recognition Awards Ceremony on Friday, May 24, the award for Community Volunteer of the Year clearly went to a well-deserving recipient.
We want to hear from you!
The Millbrook Times
P.O. Box 230, Millbrook, ON
Write us here!
Upcoming EventsNov20Mon20176:30 pm Modern Square Dance Lessons with... @ George Street United Church HallModern Square Dance Lessons with... @ George Street United Church HallNov 20 @ 6:30 pm – 8:00 pmWeekly on Mondays. Singles, couples, all ages welcome! Just $5 per night.7:30 pm The Aces of Harmony Welcomes a N... @ Northminster ChurchThe Aces of Harmony Welcomes a N... @ Northminster ChurchNov 20 @ 7:30 pm – 10:00 pmThe Aces of Harmony, a four-part a cappella men’s chorus, invites all men between the ages of 14 and 88 to join us in song every Monday evening from 7:30 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. Northminster Church, 300 Sunset Blvd., Peterborough. For more info go to www.acesofharmony.com. Help us celebrate the 50th … Continue reading →Nov22Wed20171:00 pm Royal Canadian Legion 402 Progre... @ Royal Canadian Legion Branch 402Royal Canadian Legion 402 Progre... @ Royal Canadian Legion Branch 402Nov 22 @ 1:00 pmEveryone is Welcome!7:00 pm Millbrook Community Choir @ Centennial PlaceMillbrook Community Choir @ Centennial PlaceNov 22 @ 7:00 pmAll are welcome to come and sing!7:30 pm Royal Canadian Legion 402 Dart L... @ Royal Canadian Legion Branch 402Royal Canadian Legion 402 Dart L... @ Royal Canadian Legion Branch 402Nov 22 @ 7:30 pmRegister at 7:30 pm, play at 8:00 pm. Join the league or spares are welcome!Nov23Thu20176:00 pm TOPS: Take Off Pounds Sensibly @ St. Thomas More Catholic ChurchTOPS: Take Off Pounds Sensibly @ St. Thomas More Catholic ChurchNov 23 @ 6:00 pmEvery Thursday 6pm weigh-in, 6:45pm meeting St. Thomas More Catholic Church, King Street W. Millbrook. Non-Profit, affordable, friendly weight loss.Nov24Fri20171:00 pm Community Care Drop-in Social @ Community CareCommunity Care Drop-in Social @ Community CareNov 24 @ 1:00 pm – 3:00 pmCrafts, Coffee& Conversation All welcome!!Nov25Sat2017Nov26Sun20178:30 am Millbrook and District Lions Clu... @ Lions’ DenMillbrook and District Lions Clu... @ Lions’ DenNov 26 @ 8:30 am – 12:00 pmOn the menu: Bacon, Eggs, Hash Browns, Toast, Fruit, Juice, tea & coffee.
- 5-year-old girl allegedly attacked by German shepherd November 19, 2017A little girl in Ontario continues to recover after an alleged dog attack by one of the neighbour’s pets.
- Canada faces Russia-linked cyberthreats at home and abroad, NATO chief says November 19, 2017The head of NATO is urging Canada to be vigilant about the threat of Russian cyberwarfare both on the battlefield and at home.
- One person was killed in an accident during training at CFB Shilo November 19, 2017One person is dead after an accident during training exercises at the Canadian Forces base in Shilo, Man.
- 5-year-old girl allegedly attacked by German shepherd November 19, 2017
- TransCanada sends more crews to Keystone pipeline leak November 19, 2017TransCanada Corp. says the company has sent additional crews and equipment to the site of a 210,000-gallon oil spill from its Keystone pipeline in South Dakota.
- U.S. treasury chief a Bond villain? Mnuchin OK with comparison November 19, 2017Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Sunday he had no idea that a photo of him and his wife posing with a sheet of newly printed money would go viral.
- Five things to watch for in the Canadian business world in the coming week November 19, 2017Alberta Premier Rachel Notley kicks off a cross-country speaking tour on the importance of the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion on Monday in Toronto next week.
- TransCanada sends more crews to Keystone pipeline leak November 19, 2017
- Down its star strike force, Toronto FC looks to leave Columbus with something November 19, 2017Toronto FC's mission in Columbus this week is simple. Come home with something from the first leg of the Eastern Conference final.
- NFL extends deal to play in Mexico from 2019-21 November 19, 2017The NFL has extended its commitment to Mexico by announcing Sunday that the league will play a game here each year from 2019-21.
- Alex Gough leads Canada to silver in luge team event at World Cup November 19, 2017Alex Gough put the Canadian luge team on her shoulders and led them to a silver medal on Sunday in a World Cup team relay event.
- Down its star strike force, Toronto FC looks to leave Columbus with something November 19, 2017