Look for our Community Events Calendar to return here once COVID-19 restrictions are eased.
- 'Blacklisted': Nova Scotia First Nation pulls commercial lobster boats from the water October 21, 2020The chief of the First Nation behind a disputed moderate livelihood lobster fishery in Nova Scotia says recent vandalism and the loss of potential sales has cost the band more than $1.5 million.
- Quebec reports 1,072 new cases of COVID-19, 19 more deaths October 21, 2020Quebec health authorities reported 1,072 more cases of COVID-19 in the province on Wednesday, bringing the total number of cases since the start of the pandemic to 96,288.
- 'Blacklisted': Nova Scotia First Nation pulls commercial lobster boats from the water October 21, 2020
- Giro d'Italia: Almeida stays in pink; O'Connor earns stage win October 21, 2020Joao Almeida remained in the overall lead of the Giro d'Italia as the race headed into the high mountains and Ben O'Connor earned his first stage victory in a Grand Tour by winning the 17th leg on Wednesday.
- Pandemic World Series draws smallest crowd in over century October 21, 2020A crowd of 11,388 attended the Los Angeles Dodgers' 8-3 win over the Tampa Bay Rays in Tuesday night's World Series opener, spread in groups of up to four, mostly in alternate rows and none directly behind each other among the forest green seats.
- Giro d'Italia: Almeida stays in pink; O'Connor earns stage win October 21, 2020
Technical concerns? Let us know
New mothers in Peterborough have told us that they are not comfortable breastfeeding their baby in public. Our last survey found that 49% of new moms were uncomfortable breastfeeding in restaurants and 45% felt the same way about stores and malls. Who could blame them when we had a recent… Continue reading
While there is no audible accent, after speaking for a few minutes with Randy Aucoin, you begin to hear the Newfoundland background in his voice. Relaxed and unassuming, this local entrepreneur is on the cusp of something big, and he is managing to keep his excitement in check until, as… Continue reading
Karen Graham Wayne Hancock, Director of Public Works, submitted recommendations to Council on Monday regarding the Township waste collection program. After reviewing the waste policies of other municipalities along with the proposed new County By-law, Hancock recommended the elimination of bag tags for curbside collection of residential and commercial waste… Continue reading
Sarah Sobanski It’s 7 p.m Tuesday night, and the ice pad at the Omemee Curling Club [OCC] is filled to capacity. Players of all ages, beginners to experts, all of different fitness levels, return regularly for league night. The atmosphere is light and full of camaraderie. The oldest member… Continue reading
There’s nothing we can do about the weather (well that’s not wholly true, but that’s a vast and different subject!) so we might as well make the best of it. This mild weather simply calls us to poke our noses out and explore. So close to home and so wonderful,… Continue reading
Breanne Levesque, Newspaper Club member Here at Millbrook South Cavan Public School we are glad to say Me to We will be fundraising for families overseas with Rafiki chains! With each purchase you will get a Rafiki friend chain, they come in many different colors that you can choose your… Continue reading
Karen Graham This week Council began the lengthy process of establishing the 2016 Operating and Capital Budgets as they plowed through the preliminary draft provided by Director of Finance Kimberley Pope. This report is a starting point only, and assumes no changes to service levels currently provided by the Township…. Continue reading
Karen Graham Baxter Creek’s Kevin Gunter’s interest in golf began at a young, but not at age three like some professionals. His skills also paid off early, as he was proficient enough to earn a full golf scholarship in Tennessee, where he earned a BA. Returning home, he began his… Continue reading